Thursday, January 27, 2011

Black,Female,and Literate. Why Not?

After reading Leonie C. R. Smith’s story of her literacy acquisition I felt a sense of sorrow, hope, and pride. Sorrow for all the things Smith had to go through, hope for myself, and pride in Smith and all other black women and women of color who have persevered through  all their obstacles to reach their goals.

Smith had many obstacles to overcome throughout her life beginning with her mother’s death, then moving to the United States and the different schooling system, and of course racism. She seemed to take everything in stride and roll with the punches, but racism hit her hard. “The cancer of racism infected academics; it infected sports, social life, and every aspect of my being. It metastasized to my bones, it reached my heart, and it almost got to my soul. It ate away at me, tore me up inside for 4 long years” (195). The figurative language used to describe the pain racism caused her was so real and powerful, everyone can relate to the use of the words ‘cancer’, ‘infected’, and  ‘metastasized’.

Every young women of color should read the story of Leonie C.R. Smith. It is very inspiring and would give hope to anyone. The conviction with which she pressed forward to get her education is also inspiring. From reading her story I feel that I should push through any walls that may build themselves into my path so that I can reach my education goals. It also makes me want to tell anyone who may be struggling that they can make it through as long as they have the determination.

The height of your success will equal the depth of your convictions. -William Scholavino

No comments:

Post a Comment