Friday, March 18, 2011

Tea Time with Teachers

In " Voices of our Foremothers: Celebrating the Legacy of African-American Women Educators," Sunny-Marie Birney describes how she felt growing up having been adopted people of Euro-American descent.  She says that she feels like a motherless child because she was never able to connect her parents.  When she began going to school her African-American profesors really connected with her and she felt that they were like her mothers.  They impacted her life and made lasting impressions. 

 I just wanted to highlight the importance of having a relationship with professors.  In college I feel that it is important for teachers and students to form relationships.  Every student is different and teachers should respect that.  I agree with Jacqueline Jordan Irvine that students perform the best when their teachers care for them.  Personally I do better when I know that my teacher cares about me.  This is one of the reasons why I love Spelman.  It is not a big school, so teachers actually know me by name.  I know that the teachers care about me because if I have been absent, they ask " is everything ok?"  They may shoot me an email about it or something. A lot of professors at bigger schools do not even know your name.  Teachers and students should make the same effort in trying to develop a relationship.  Students should go to office hours not only when you need help, but just to stop by and find out about their life.  My calculus teacher and I have a good relationship.  I go to her when I need help and just to talk.  She watches BET's The Game just like I do and we bond over that.  Knowing your teacher will come along way.  Your professor may be able to get you that intership that you wanted, and you may need a recommendation.  So I challenge you to get to know your teachers.

No comments:

Post a Comment