Thursday, March 17, 2011

Just Dont Get It the First Time



              In the essay, Unearthing Hidden Literacy: Seven Lessons I Learned in a Cotton Field,  Lillie Smith recounts one of her most distinct childhood memories of picking cotton at her aunt’s house. At the time she could not see how picking cotton could be beneficial to her life. As the years went by and Smith continued her education, she took a course entitled Black Women’s Literacy which opened her eyes. While taking the course, she learned about different female activist who endured similar negative situations and had something positive as their outcome. The course work she was given allowed her to assess the situation and thus view how she had grown from that experience.
                Sometimes it takes a while for a person to see that what they are going through can possibly have a positive outcome. For example, all throughout middle and high school my parents would always tell me not to procrastinate. I thought they just wanted me to get out their face and do some work, but the night before that assignment was due I was rushing and stressed, and everything was all bad. My parents would simply say, “didn’t I tell you to do your work ahead of time.”  At that moment I would realize that they were right and if I would have done my work when they told me too I would not be in that predicament. Since this occurred on many occasions, I should have learned my lesson the first time, but for whatever reason I did not. Now whenever I get long term assignments,  I do my best to start them early because of my many mishaps in middle and high school.

No comments:

Post a Comment